Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The shoulderstand cycle



The shoulderstand cycle concentrates prana on the neck and upper spine area and this in turn brings great benefit to the lower back- since any work at one end of the spine is automaticaly reflected at the other end. To successfully come to a shoulderstand I find i physically have to pull my shoulders down and stretch my neck up, away from my shoulders, while still lying in the corpse pose.

The more I practice asanas poses, the less I need to use my arms to support my body. Having strong back muscles and good concentration help keep me balanced in the shoulderstand cycle. The biggest lesson of inverted poses is to demonstrate to view legs as a balancer as well as weight bearing objects. In both the shoulderstand and headstand, the leg variations change your perception of balance and alter the way your weight is distributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment