Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday

Currently listening to Fryderyk Chopin's Raindrop Prelude while it's raining outside on this cold, drab Monday morning. Apparently, after having 80 degree weather, the piedmont triad should be expecting snow!? North Carolina continues to impress me. I've lived in this state more than five years now and the weather is STILL unpredictable. Quite frankly, one can claim it's predictable for NC to BE unpredictable.

I woke up freezing this morning with layers of clothes underneath my big fluffy comforter. The heat hasn't been working in the dorms and the hot water is still MIA in my shower. I've felt like a homeless person toting my shower bag around in search of hot H2O. LOVE college and all of it's experiences.

I managed to roll out of bed, after twenty min of just laying down staring around the room!:] I decided to start my yoga practice today right away. I've recently accumulated a couple of online yoga sessions through "yoga download." I tried the solar flow this morning and loved it! The flow was a normal sun salutation, however, the use of the Eagle pose, or "Garudasana" was used. I had some trouble finding my balance so early in the morning. The solar flow was roughly around twenty minutes of practice.

I discovered yoga download last Tuesday when I was searching through some other health and well being blogs. It was a perfect find for the homework for Wednesday! My yoga instructor informed us that class would not meet in the movement lab but we should preform yoga on our own for an hour and a half that day, regardless. Four yoga downloads later, I think I completed the task to the best of my abilities. I incorporated three minutes of a shoulder stand to my time spent on the mat. The shoulder stand is an inverted pose and is probably my favorite asanas yoga pose.

Inverted asanas reverse the action of gravity on the body; instead of everything being pulled towards the feet, the orientation shifts towards the head. Similarly, on the emotional and psychic levels, inverted asanas turn everything upside down, throwing a new light on old patterns of behavior and being. I personally find these practices improve health, reduce anxiety and stress and increase self-confidence. They also increase mental power, concentration and stimulate the chakras.

The weather, being so cold and gray, had me craving comfort foods. The school cafeteria had a variety of fried foods and foods containing a lot of salt. I avoided my temptation to indulge in fried chicken with a side of mashed potatoes, or a bowl of chili topped with shredded cheese. Instead, I opted for a bowl of oatmeal with a spoonful of peanut butter and sliced of bananas. Washed down with a cup of coffee. YUM!!

After class I have plans to go to the pool for an easy 1600 yards with my friend Taylor!

XOXO
Selina Price

No comments:

Post a Comment